Version 2.0 01 September 2022
“Company” shall mean EASY RIDE, Unipessoal LDA
“Renter” shall mean the person listed as the Renter Name on the Rental Agreement
Documents forming part of this Agreement. The following document forms an integral part of this Agreement: Handover Inspection Document
The Company agrees to rent to the Renter the Rental Vehicle described on the Rental Agreement.
Rental reservations are conditional on the acceptance by the Renter of the Company’s Terms and Conditions detailed below, that form part of the Rental Agreement. If the Renter does not agree with any part of the Terms and Conditions, the Renter must not proceed with the reservation. By confirming the reservation, the Renter accepts that they have read, understood, and will abide by our Terms and Conditions.
1) The Renter receives the Rental Vehicle in perfect condition. Damage, if any, will be clearly indicated on the Rental Agreement.
2) The Rental Vehicle will be driven only by the Renter and any other driver previously authorised by the Company, and shall not be used:
• To transport any goods in violation of customs regulations or in any illegal way
• For the carriage goods or passengers in return for any remuneration or compensation, implicit or explicit
• To push or pull any vehicle or trailer
• In motor sports events
• By any person under the influence of alcohol or drugs
3) The minimum age for every driver is 21 years and they must have held the driving license for at least one year that is valid in the European Union. The presentation of the original document is mandatory.
EU Driving Licences - Valid driving licences of all EU countries are accepted
All Other Licences - Driving Licences printed with non-Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) must be complemented by an International Driving License. For driving licenses from countries not part of the international driving license treaty, an official translation into Portuguese must be presented with the original license.
4) The Rental Vehicle is delivered with signalling triangle and sealed odometer, usual tools, a spare wheel, vehicle registration, insurance card and inspection record (if applicable). In case of loss or destruction, in whole or in part of this equipment and/or documentation by the Renter, the Renter may be obliged to compensate the Company accordingly for their replacement together with an administrative surcharge. Surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
5) Payment requirements. Upon Rental Vehicle collection, the Renter must be in possession of a valid CREDIT CARD to pay any outstanding balance, and the credit card MUST be in the name of the Renter and be valid for at least 3 months from the end date of the rental period. The payment card CANNOT be a pre-paid credit card, an electronic-use only card or a debit card.
6) Also at the time of Rental Vehicle collection, the Renter authorises the Company to place an ‘Authorised Hold’ with the credit card issuer, for the sum of 600.00 Euros. This figure comprises: Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Insurance Excess 300.00 Euros and a Security Deposit of 300.00 Euros. If the Renter has selected the (SCDW) Excess Protection Insurance to be included in their reservation, only the Security Deposit of 300 Euros will be required to be placed on ‘Authorised Hold’. At the end of the rental period, and after verification and absence of damage or associated costs such as fines or surcharges etc, an ‘Authorisation Reversal’ will be issued.
The Excess covers damage sustained to the Rental Vehicle following a road traffic collision.
The Security Deposit provides payment in full or in part towards any non-road traffic collision damage sustained to parts of the Rental Vehicle such as, but not limited to, the underside of the vehicle, engine, exhaust system, suspension, steering system, wing mirrors, keys and locks, car interior, the vehicle roof, damaged sustained on private land such as car parks, hotel car parks and shopping centre car parks together with any incurred surcharges. These surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
The Renter further authorises the Company, without the Renter’s additional authorisation, to use the same credit card to charge for any subsequent costs and/or surcharges that are the liability of the Renter that are either in excess of the Security Deposit or incurred after the Security Deposit ‘Authorisation Reversal’ has been issued. The Company will notify the Renter of all charges.
7) The minimum rental period is 3 (three) days
8) The Rental Vehicle must remain at all times on the mainland island of Madeira. For clarity, the Rental Vehicle is not allowed to be taken to the island of Porto Santo.
9) Cancellation: Notified 72 hours or more prior to pick-up. There is no cancellation cost and any deposit paid will be refunded. Cancellation notifications must be made via the MY BOOKINGS link on the website.
Cancellation: Notified less than the required 72 hours’ notice period prior to pick-up, will be subject to a cancellation charge equal to 72 hours rental charge. Any difference owed between the total cancellation charge and the deposit paid will be charged to the payment card details supplied. These cancellation notifications must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the booking reference.
No-show: In the event that the booked Rental Vehicle is not collected or not collected at the agreed time, the rental charge already paid shall be withheld in full.
10) Parking fines and traffic violations are the responsibility of the Renter, who must pay them in full before returning the Rental Vehicle. If notifications are received after the end of the rental period, we will notify the relevant authorities with the driver identification. There will also be an administrative surcharge. Surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
Please note: The administrative surcharge is NOT part or full payment of the fine. You will need to pay the fine separately.
11) Rental Vehicles are delivered with fuel, usually a full tank. Customers must return the vehicle with the same amount of fuel to avoid any payment surcharge. Surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section in the Terms and Conditions. There is no refund for excess fuel. The Renter must refuel the vehicle with the appropriate fuel type. If the Renter adds the incorrect fuel type, additional cost and surcharges will be incurred. These costs and surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
12) The Renter will return the Rental Vehicle to the agreed return destination location within the Pick-Up/Return hours that are stated on our website. Rental Vehicles collected or returned outside of these hours will incur a surcharge that is detailed in the Tariff section below. The Rental Agreement ends on the day chosen by the Renter. There is no refund for early returns. The Rental Vehicle must be returned at the time stated in the contract, with a tolerance of 30 minutes. After this period Easy Ride Rent-A-Car reserves the right to charge an extra 1-day rental. If an extension is required, the Renter must contact the Company by telephone 24 hours in advance of the scheduled completion date. Permission will be granted subject to availability and is strictly at the Company’s discretion. If such permission is NOT granted, and the Rental Vehicle is not returned at the contracted time, it will be considered that the Rental Vehicle is being used without the consent of the Company and will be reported as such to the local Police.
13) The Renter is responsible for the maintenance of the Rental Vehicle and its equipment during the rental period, and must check the oil, water, and fuel levels, and in particular the tyre pressures. Any oil purchases up to a value of 15.00 Euros will be re-imbursed provided a valid receipt is supplied. You must obtain prior permission from the Company for expenditure over 15.00 Euros.
14) In case of excess dirt (inside or outside) a cleaning surcharge will be applied. In the case of internal spillages such as milk, sun lotion, oil, urine, vomit, etc., the vehicle interior will need to be professionally cleaned. Surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
15) The company is responsible for the maintenance of the Rental Vehicle. Should the Rental Vehicle become immobilised, repairs may only be carried out with the prior permission of the Company and in accordance with the instructions given.
16) If the key/key fob to the Rental Vehicle is lost or locked in the vehicle, the Company will charge for the cost of the replacement key/key fob, the cost of delivering the replacement key/key fob to the vehicle or, if necessary, the recovery of the Rental Vehicle to a suitable location plus an administrative surcharge. Surcharges are detailed in the Tariff section below.
17) There is a standard fee for the delivery and collection of the Rental Vehicle that will be added to the rental quotation. Fees are detailed in the Tariff section below
18) The rental price includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Insurance with a 300.00 Euro Excess. If the Renter has selected (SCDW) Excess Protection Insurance to be included in their reservation the Excess reduces to zero.
Please note your liability for damage to, or loss of, the vehicle will not be waived or reduced in the following circumstances, and you will remain liable for the full loss and/or damage:
a) where you or the authorised driver/s are in breach of your obligations under the Rental Agreement
b) if the loss or damage is caused intentionally
c) if the driver was not authorised by the Company as the main or additional driver; or
d) if the main or the additional driver is negligent (for example failure to assess the vehicle’s height, driving on unsuitable road conditions, improper use of the vehicle, contribution to damage to/theft of the vehicle) and in particular, but not limited to, the following circumstances:
• Striking overhead or overhanging objects
• Driving into a barrier that is too low for the vehicle to pass beneath
• Driving into a barrier in a car park before it fully opens
• Driving on a road in bad condition without due care resulting in damage to the undercarriage
• Driving on a beach causing damage by salt water and/or sand
• Driving through flooded roads causing damage to the engine
• Putting wrong fuel in the vehicle or otherwise contaminating the fuel
• Damage occurring as a result of ignoring a warning light
• Damage caused by excess speed
• Damage caused by driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• Damage caused by falling rocks on a road that has a specific road traffic sign warning that the road ahead is at risk from falling rocks
• Burning a clutch (which requires persistent ill use) or using the handbrake incorrectly
• Damage to the wheel rim caused by driving with a flat tyre
• Fitting unauthorised objects to the interior or exterior of the vehicle
• Carrying especially dirty or smelly materials that require extra cleaning costs or that damage or burn the interior
• Damage resulting from locking the keys in the vehicle or losing the keys
• Damage resulting from leaving the windows open
• Loss of the vehicle caused by failure to use the anti-theft system (if provided)
• Loss of the vehicle when you are unable to return the key
Full details of the Policy are available upon request.
In the case of an accident caused by excess speed, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or through negligence, the Renter will pay the Company the full repair cost, the Rental Vehicle recovery costs, the costs to hire an alternative vehicle to fulfil existing rental bookings, and compensation for loss of business. Compensation will be paid at the contracted daily rental rate from the end of the Rental Agreement until the Rental Vehicle is fully repaired and available for rental.
The Company is not responsible for the loss or for material damage caused to personal property transported or left in the Rental Vehicle, either during the rental period or after the same.
The Renter further agrees to protect the interest of the Company and its Insurance Company. In the case of a road traffic accident during the rental period the Renter agrees to:
• Obtain the full names and addresses of parties involved and also any witnesses
• Not to admit responsibility or guilt
• Not to abandon the Rental Vehicle without taking appropriate measures to protect and secure it
• Notify the police immediately
It is the Renter’s responsibility to complete the accident declaration with the maximum amount of information possible, otherwise the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Insurance will be considered null and void. The Renter agrees to fully co-operate with the Company and its Insurance Company in any inquiry or action of the law. Any other loss, damage, or theft must be reported immediately to the police and to the Company within 24 hours.
19) The Company provides free assistance 24 hours a day for the Renter to advise the Company of any unusual situations that may occur during the rental period. The Renter should contact the helpdesk through the telephone number on the front of the Rental Agreement.
20) Any additions or alterations to the terms and conditions of this document shall be null and void unless agreed in writing.
21) In the event of a breach of these Terms and Conditions and of the Rental Agreement by the Renter, the personal data of the Renter may be disclosed or communicated to third parties to the extent necessary for the recovery of losses inherent to the breach.
22) Early Termination of Rental Due to Force Majeure Events. The Rental Agreement shall be terminated when, during the rental period, the Rental Vehicle can no longer be used due to natural disasters or other force majeure events, accidents not attributable to the Renter, theft, malfunctions, or other reasons which cannot be attributed to the Renter. In such a case, the Company shall exempt the Renter from the rental fees from the time when the Rental Vehicle can no longer be used, in accordance with the price list prescribed separately by the Company.
When any of the circumstances provided for in the preceding paragraph has occurred, the Renter shall immediately inform the Company thereof.
A fee of 30.00 Euros will be charged for each 1/4 of missing fuel tank.
If the Renter adds the incorrect fuel type, a surcharge of 600.00 EUROS will be applied together with any recovery costs.
Parking fine and/or traffic violations
There will be an administrative surcharge of 25.00 Euros
In case of loss or destruction, in whole or in part of the Rental Vehicle's equipment and documentation by the Renter, the Renter may be obliged to compensate the Company accordingly for their replacement together with administrative surcharge. The administrative surcharge is 25.00 Euros.
In case of excess dirt (inside or outside) a cleaning surcharge of 20.00 Euros will be applied
Where professional cleaning is required a surcharge of 65.00 Euros will be applied.
Lost keys, key fobs
If the key/key fob to the Rental Vehicle are lost or locked in the vehicle, the Company will charge:
• the cost of the replacement key/key fob,
• the cost of delivery to the vehicle,
• if necessary, the cost of recovering of the Rental Vehicle to a location for rectification.
• An administrative surcharge of 25.00 Euros will be applied.
Out of Office
Pick-Up/Return Hours: 7.00am – 8.00pm. The following charges apply outside these hours:
Collection of Rental Vehicle will incur a surcharge of 15.00 Euros
Returning of Rental Vehicle will incur a surcharge of 1500 Euros
Delivery fee to anywhere on the island: 20.00 Euros
Collection fee from anywhere on the island: 20.00 Euros